MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Retain Values With Geocoding

Posted 01-12-2021 16:10
    I am trying to geocode a list of addresses which also have other information (e.g., name, business type).  How do I retain the values for those fields from the input table rather than just the linking fields (address, city, state, zip)?  Also, how is it possible to edit the information in a table created from an Excel file (prior to geocoding)?  Finally, is it possible to directly open a browse window without first docking it?  Thanks, Rex

------------------------------
    Rex Edwards
    CAMPBELL AVIATION GROUP
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Retain Values With Geocoding

Employee
    Posted 01-13-2021 03:24
    Hi Rex

1. I think the problem here is that the table, you are trying to geocode is not editable. Try to save a copy of the table into a Native table.

2. This will also be solved by saving a copy. IN fact, you can when opening an Excel file into MapInfo Pro, check the option to Create copy in MapInfo format for read/write. You find this option at the bottom of the Open dialog. This automatically saves a copy of the file in a Native tab file that allows you to edit the data.

3. Out of the box, there is only one way to do it: If the table can be found in the Most Recent Used list in the Open dropdown, you can hold down the Shift key and click on the small Browser icon to the left of the file name. I have described this in this article: MapInfo Monday: Opening tables from the Most Recent Used List.

Alternatively, you can install the WindowHelper app from the MapInfo Marketplace. This tool will amongst other things add an extra browse button, Floating Browser, to the Table tab which allows you to open a table into a floating browser window.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Retain Values With Geocoding

Posted 01-15-2021 10:32
    Many thanks.  What about retaining the values from the input table other than those used for geocoding (address, city, zip).  I tried  with an editable file and it still returns blanks.  Is there a setting that needs to be set in the geocode process?     Thanks

PS  Somehow my setting for receiving emails was changed (maybe when transitioning to Precisely).

Rex Edwards
    CAMPBELL AVIATION GROUP
    Alexandria VA

• 4.  RE: Retain Values With Geocoding

Employee
    Posted 01-18-2021 04:39
    Hi Rex

Can you check the Field Mapping used. If the output is set to be stored in columns that also hold the input, you will overwrite the existing data.

All the other data you have in your table should be retained. If your table is editable from MapInfo Pro, MapInfo Pro should only update the columns you have specified for the Output, and update the object with the geocoded location.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data