MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Pick Colour

Posted 05-11-2021 04:47
    Hi,

What other ways are there to apply a 'like/similar' colour to a polygon/region in MID, which matching the colour you are using in another map or image or software program?

The process in MapInfo of Pick Colour is so out-of-date

MID doesn't (still) appear to have a dropper or equivalent process that I can find in 2021.

I understand from support that this is not possible and you need to selected the alpha-number colour or run Pick Colour and manually enter the numeric fields. Out of date in my opinion......

There should be a dropped or equivalent to do this process in 2021.

Cheers, Mike

------------------------------
    Mike Woodbury
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Pick Colour

Employee
    Posted 05-11-2021 05:46
    Hard to disagree.

There is an idea for a better Color Picker dialog on Precisely Ideas but I think we need more than just a new dialog.

I like the idea of being able to "pick" a column from anywhere.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Pick Colour

Posted 05-11-2021 05:54
    Hi Peter,

A dropper that you can select the colour e.g. PPT, Adobe Illustrator or Corel all do this an match the colour with a dropper.

MIP colour selection is so out dated!!

It needs an overhaul.

have placed this comment against your link.

Cheers, Mike

If you can get MIP to change the max file length >32 this would be a move in the right direction. It's really hard to work in MIP when all the files are truncated to max 32 characters. I have no idea why they cannot get this sorted??

Mike Woodbury
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 4.  RE: Pick Colour

Posted 05-11-2021 06:36
    Hi Mike
    The MapCAD set of tools adds the function to >Copy Style and >Paste Style. Works on points, lines and polygons. I will often use this to correct any deviations from the chosen style. It also sets the style for any subsequent, new objects. I don't know if this helps you in your process?
    Regards

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Pick Colour

Posted 05-11-2021 06:41

Hello Mike,

I agree with you. The colour picker in Pro seems to have been only updated once since v3!

While I don't have access the latest versions of Pro, the thing that annoys me most about the colour picker is the keyboard tab ordering. Since I'm an uber-nerd when it comes to cartographic colours, I often want to manually enter precise RGB colour values by tabbing from one component box to another. For some bizarre reason, the tab ordering interleaves the 3 components of the HSV and RGB models (H -> R -> S -> G -> V -> B). Nobody will enter colour values this way! You're either entering RGB (most commonly) or HSV.

If/when the colour picker is improved... please Precisely, include support for # hex values! #663399 RIP.

Regards,

Warren Vick