MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Context Menu vs Mini Toolbar

Posted 04-27-2022 13:41
    Is there a way to customize the context menu (right click) so that I can add the tools I need instead of seeing the tools that I don't need? I am able to customize the mini toolbar with some of the tools that I use but that menu is small and floats either on top of the context menu or below depending on where the cursor is located at the time. OR, is there a way to replace the context menu with only the mini toolbar? OR or is there a way to resize the mini toolbar either horizontally or vertically?

------------------------------
    Chris Gerlach
    ISO/VERISK INSURANCE SOLUTIONS
    Saint Louis Park MN

• 2.  RE: Context Menu vs Mini Toolbar

Employee
    Posted 04-28-2022 01:34
    At the moment you can only customize the Map Mini Toolbar. You can't customize the context menu, not using the Customize Ribbon at least.

You can also add additional versions of the Map Mini Toolbar so that you have one for typical use, one for data editing, one for data analysis, etc.

Through MapBasic or Python, you would be able to create a small tool that hides or removes most of the elements from the Map Context menu, or removes the existing tools and adds your own preferred tools. If you want to know more about this, let us know.

Maybe it is a good improvement is to give users access to modifying the Map Context menu. Feel free to add it to Precisely Ideas.

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Context Menu vs Mini Toolbar

Employee
    Posted 04-28-2022 12:28
      |   view attached
    You can't 'Remove' built-in items from the Mapper or Layout Context menus but you can 'Hide' them and rebuild your own Mapper\Layout context menu as well as the mini-toolbar.  I've attached a sample MapBasic program you can compile that shows how to hide all the existing menu items in the Map Context menu, then proceed to add a new customized menu item in its place.  If you simply hide all the context menu items you end up with a tiny flat bar just below the mini-toolbar, (can barely see it) but it can't be completely removed,hidden, or resized.  A similar process can be used to rebuild the mini-toolbar, but you can do most of that through the user-interface already.
    ** Had to attach it as a zip file type even though its only 2K in size??? Sorry.

Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

Attachment(s)

zip
    IContextMenus.zip   1 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Context Menu vs Mini Toolbar

Posted 04-29-2022 08:49
    Thank you. That's interesting. In previous versions of MapInfo (32-bit), I was able to customize the context menu with the tools that I used most often so I didn't have to bounce back and forth between the ribbon and the map or in this case the map and the tools window. This current context menu, while good for some, doesn't really fit my needs and is more in the way than anything else. I'll play around with the sample you provided.

Chris Gerlach
    ISO/VERISK INSURANCE SOLUTIONS
    Saint Louis Park MN

• 5.  RE: Context Menu vs Mini Toolbar

Employee
    Posted 05-05-2022 13:44
    We do have a way to manually customize context menus in the MapInfoPro.mnu file.
    It is located here C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\2100

It is now an xml format, but the initial context menus are loaded from there. Of course if you are going to try this be sure to back it up first, in case you make a mistake and then the app will have trouble loading.
    We do not have any way currently to change the positioning of the mapper or layout mini toolbars relative to the context menu.

-Bob

Bob Fortin
    Software Architect and Distinguished Engineer
    MapInfo Pro Development Team