MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  sql server permissions

Posted 11-08-2021 10:35
    Can anyone tell me if it is possible to assign permissions to individual MapInfo tables stored in a MS SQL server database? What I would like to do is give read only access to certain tables and full access to others depending upon the the user's sign in via Windows Authentication. If you've implemented this, did it cause any problems with MapInfo? Almost all my users are on MapInfo 19 or 21 and we all use linked tables to access the database. I have 2 still on 15 but they will be upgraded early in 2022.
    Thanks

------------------------------
    Mark Dvorscak
    LONE ROCK TIMBER CO
    Roseburg OR

• 2.  RE: sql server permissions

Employee
    Posted 11-09-2021 08:26
    You should be able to assign individual permissions for users to tables using SQL Server Management Studio.  When a User accesses this table via MIPro it will get the remote table's properties and respond accordingly by not allowing edits to be saved back to the server.  MIPro is just going back & forth with ODBC in Windows via MIDLODBC.dll to deal with Table, Schema, and Database properties.

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

• 3.  RE: sql server permissions

Posted 11-09-2021 10:08
    Thank you. I'll move forward with this. I mainly wanted to see if there were any pitfalls or red flags to avoid that others might have encountered.

Mark Dvorscak
    LONE ROCK TIMBER CO
    Roseburg OR