MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Excel-tab files for 2 worksheets?

Posted 05-26-2021 11:54
    Apols if this has come up before.

I have an excel workbook with multiple worksheets. I have 2 different analyses, both of which I want to map, which are on different worksheets. They are derived from the same dataset, but different types of data, so I don't want them on the same sheet, and I don't really want to store them in different workbooks.

How do i get mapinfo to connect to both worksheets? It seems to automatically assume I always want the same one.

thanks

------------------------------
    Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 2.  RE: Excel-tab files for 2 worksheets?

Posted 05-27-2021 08:36
    Martin,

You can sort of do it with an ODBC connection. I have managed to 'open' both worksheets at the same time.

Although these were only mappable via a join.

I couldn't figure out how to create a mapcatalogue to auto create points with.  And also, despite having co-ords in the data, it wouldn't let me create points either.

Let me know if you want me to talk you through it

HTH

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester

• 3.  RE: Excel-tab files for 2 worksheets?

Posted 05-27-2021 10:31
    Thanks Nick!
    I would want to create points though, so I guess I'll stick to cloning the book :-)

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 4.  RE: Excel-tab files for 2 worksheets?

Employee
    Posted 06-13-2022 03:03
    Hi Martin

The new OGR Vector Files format also allows you to open Excel files. Using this method, you can select multiple sheets from the same Excel file and open these during one process.

This method also allows you to automatically create points during the open process. Just make sure the potential X and Y column names have been set correctly to match your column names.

The support for OGR Vector files was added to MapInfo Pro v2021.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data