MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  add a table - not active add rows

Posted 10-18-2020 15:22
      |   view attached
    Hi
    I have two huge tables and I want to add them together. In my old Mapinfo (12.0), this was easy,
    but in the version 16.0, the menu is not Active even when both tables are visible and Active. 
    I created these tables from excel files. I tried to export as Mif file to check it would allow me to add rows, but it did not. 
    What is wrong? how is it the easiet way to add two huge tables?
    Thanks
    Vania

------------------------------
    Vania Ceccato
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: add a table - not active add rows

Employee
    Posted 10-19-2020 04:26
    Hi Vania

If you created the tables from Excel files my best guess is that the data still resides in the Excel files and therefore the tables are read-only in MapInfo Pro.

Did you check the "Create copy in MapInfo format for read/write access" when you opened at least one of the Excel files into MapInfo Pro?

If not, you now need to save a copy of one of your Excel files as a Native Tab file and open the copy afterward.

Then you will be able to insert the records from the other Excel file into the copy.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: add a table - not active add rows

Posted 10-19-2020 05:59

Peter

Thanks.

I tried to "save as" as I used to do in Mapinfo 11.0 but it was not available for me (Mapinfo allowed me to save workspace or export  but not "to save" the table as TAB).

When I tried to open the excel file, I did not get this option "Preferred view" as you did.

Vania

• 4.  RE: add a table - not active add rows

Employee
    Posted 10-19-2020 07:05
    Notice that the Save As option can appear disabled. It can however be found in the Save dropdown on the Table tab

The option to Create a Copy in the Open dialog is only available when you open a read-only format such as Microsoft Excel, Text file or similar.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

• 5.  RE: add a table - not active add rows

Posted 10-19-2020 11:56

Peter

Thank you.

I managed to do save it as tab and then add rows, so now I am in business again.

As I am migrating from my old mapinfo 11.0 to the 16.0, I miss a lot of things. Is there a video that shows quickly the basic functions in the new version? (where to find them)

Best

Vania

• 6.  RE: add a table - not active add rows

Employee
    Posted 10-20-2020 03:04
    Hi Vania

I'm not sure how good you Danish is - I can see that you work in Sweden.
    A few years back, I did a webinar for the Danish MapInfo User Group where I covered the new user interface in MapInfo Pro v16.

You can find that video, and other recordings from webinars, in the youtube channel for MapInfo Brugergruppe Danmark.

Having said that, I'll also add that the user interface of MapInfo Pro v16.0 has been improved, especially in v17. One of the nice features we added in v17 was the Quick Search that allows you to search for features and have them highlighted.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

• 7.  RE: add a table - not active add rows

Posted 10-20-2020 03:21

Thanks so much, Vania

• 8.  RE: add a table - not active add rows

Employee
    Posted 10-22-2020 02:39
    @John Ievers recently created a new video that also goes over the new improved interface of the 64-bit versions of MapInfo Pro.

He used MapInfo Pro v2019

​​

Peter Horsbøll Møller