MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Monday: Making labels not selectable

Employee
    Posted 08-31-2020 03:26
    Edited by Peter Møller 08-31-2020 03:30

This week's tip and trick is around labels. Sometimes labels do get in the way when you want to select the spatial object under the label. So instead of selecting the object, you select the label. And sometimes you even move the label just a tiny distance.

You can avoid this by making the labels not selectable on your map. You do this via the often-overlooked "Selectable Labels" icon in the Layer List next to each Map element. Here you can turn the Selectable Labels on and off.

Are you already using this option in MapInfo Pro?

#MapInfoMonday is your weekly little tip​ to help you get more from your MapInfo Pro.

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Making labels not selectable

Posted 09-01-2020 20:37
    This is a great tip.  However, is there an equivalent function for images?  When using the Info tool with images as a backdrop, having their RGB colour values pop up in addition to the attributes of the layer I'm actually interested in is quite annoying.  With raster surfaces it's OK, as the screencap below show, they have selectability that can be turned on/off.  But no such option is apparent with the other images, which are generally WMS layers.  Am I missing something?
    Explorer window indicating where selectable on/off switch for WMS image layers ?ought to be

Mark Duffett
    Mineral Resources Tasmania
    Department of State Growth
    Rosny Park TAS

• 3.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Making labels not selectable

Employee
    Posted 09-02-2020 02:44

Hi Mark

That's actually a very good point and something that I have just ignored when I have come across it.

I think this problem does only occur for WMS and probably WMTS layers that support GetFeatureInfo where a request can be sent to the server to get attribute information at a given point.

I tried to look at the WMS options but I can't see a way to disable this. We basically use what the WMS Service provides. In the image below, you can see two different WMS services. One supports GetFeatureInfo shown via the "i" next to all the layers. The other one doesn't as it doesn't have an "i".

I can see two ways we could implement this:
    1. It's a setting for the WMS/WMTS table that controls if GetFeatureInfo is turned on or off
    2. It's a layer setting, similar to what you show for the Grid format in your post.

Do you have any preferences between the two?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer

• 4.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Making labels not selectable

Posted 09-02-2020 19:48
    Thanks, Peter.  If I have a preference it's slightly for option 2, as it would be easier than possibly having to regenerate the table in the rare event I did ever want to make use of GetFeatureInfo for WMS backdrop layers.  But either solution would be great.

cheers, Mark

Mark Duffett
    Rosny Park TAS

• 5.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Making labels not selectable

Employee
    Posted 09-30-2020 04:05
    Hi Mark

I just wanted to follow up with you on this. It seems that this might actually not be a big thing to fix.
    We have put it on the list for User Experience Improvements for the next major release. Fingers crossed that it will make it.

Thanks for raising my attention to the issue.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer

• 6.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Making labels not selectable

Posted 10-01-2020 03:58
    That sounds great, thanks very much for following it up, Peter.  I'll look forward to the next release even more than usual!

cheers, Mark

Mark Duffett
    Rosny Park TAS

• 7.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Making labels not selectable

Employee
    Posted 05-20-2021 01:56
    Mark,

Just a quick note to let you know that I, in an early build of MapInfo Pro v2021, can make WMS layers selectable/not selectable via the Layer Control.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer