MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  GELink issue

Posted 07-14-2021 16:39
    I have a user running MapInfo 12.0.3. When they use Export to Google Earth, the checkbox for Send to Google Earth now is grayed out. They can use the tool to create the KML and then open in Google Earth, but it won't allow the direct export to GE. I have the same version of MapInfo & GE as them, and I can do it. The checkbox is not grayed out. Is there another MI setting that disables that feature? Something else going on?

------------------------------
    Nick Letourneau
    Verisk
    Minneapolis, MN

• 2.  RE: GELink issue

Employee
    Posted 07-15-2021 08:16
    GELink tool can't find the GoogleEarth application installed as expected.  It is using a Windows API function to search and find the executable and that is returning false, so it disables the checkbox. User's installation may not be same as yours where it works.
    Source for GELink tool is installed with MapBasic download if you want to do some debugging to find out why Google Earth can't be found.

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

• 3.  RE: GELink issue

Posted 07-15-2021 14:49
    Thanks Bill. I've checked out the .MBs, but my skill level here is limited. I found in the GELink_Util.mb, the CheckForGoogleEarth function, but can't decipher what it's doing. I can't identify where the program is looking for the googleearth.exe. As for our machines, everything looks identical: the .exe is located in the same location, Registry folders are the same, etc. I'll keep digging.

Nick Letourneau
    Verisk
    Minneapolis, MN

• 4.  RE: GELink issue

Posted 07-15-2021 15:40
    RESOLVED:
    In order for MapInfo/GELink to "find" googleearth.exe, the user reset the program used to open .KML files. Right click any .kml, Open With..., set Google Earth as the default program. I figured out the CheckForGoogleEarth function seems to create a generic .kml and tries to open it, and if it doesn't work, it thinks GE isn't present on the machine. Or something like that.

Nick Letourneau
    Verisk
    Minneapolis, MN