MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Struggling to migrate from 32bit to 64bit

Posted 07-01-2021 19:29

Hi All,

Longtime MapInfo Pro user/MapBasic developer here (started with v4.0 back in the 90's).

I am the MapInfo admin and MapBasic developer at my company. I have about 80 MBX tools that I wrote and maintain; thousands of lines of code, etc. We are currently running v15.0.3.

I have studied the path to refactor the tools for the Ribbon and I'm not super daunted by that. I mean everything I wrote that interacts with a Layout is now broken. Do layouts even exist in 64bit or are they Layout Designers?

However, I am mostly struggling with the philosophical changes to the windowing that have occurred.

Can someone explain why map windows and layout windows are no longer synced? It feels as though once a map frame is created in the layout then the original map is no longer linked. A clone is created, but then you MUST interact with the map in the layout window, the associated map window is inaccessible. And I also can't seem to get any Layer Control. It has disappeared too.

Maybe one day I will understand what is going on. I hope that day is soon. But for now, IMO the changes made during the 64bit conversion are terrible.

But whining aside, is there a video that explains to a former 32bit user what exactly the hell happened and how to use this software?

Thanks,

John Hollingsworth

------------------------------
    John Hollingsworth
    Clear Channel Outdoor

• 2.  RE: Struggling to migrate from 32bit to 64bit

Posted 07-02-2021 08:19
    Persevere John, it gets better quickly :-)
    Initially I struggled with layouts created in the old version, and conflicts in the new version, but when you're over, it seems a lot smoother and less temperamental. Ditto legends.
    The move to layouts using a cloned map seems weird at first, but it works well in practice. I often now just edit in the layout view and don't use the standalone map view at all.
    Only thing I would question is whether the ribbon/menu layout is quite the most efficient, but that's relatively minor.

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 3.  RE: Struggling to migrate from 32bit to 64bit

Posted 07-02-2021 13:47
    Thanks, Martin.

I am a bit confused with one portion of your reply. Once a layout is created, the map is completely severed from the original map. Or so it seems.

Part of my consternation is that I have to train 100+ users in this new environment so any confusion on my part will be greatly multiplied.

John Hollingsworth
    Clear Channel Outdoor Holding Inc

• 4.  RE: Struggling to migrate from 32bit to 64bit

Posted 07-04-2021 19:49
    Hi John,

Yes, a layout uses an embedded clone of the original map which is no longer linked to the original. You can activate the map in the layout by double clicking which mean you can then modify the embedded map or you can remove the contents of a map frame and then reinsert the original map, by right clicking on the map frame while non-active.

I have to agree with Martin, it takes a little while to get used to but overall the new layout and functionality is a huge improvement from the 32bit version.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 5.  RE: Struggling to migrate from 32bit to 64bit

Posted 07-07-2021 05:36
    HI John
    Hopefully this will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmV7yeh2ozA
    Regards

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 6.  RE: Struggling to migrate from 32bit to 64bit

Posted 07-07-2021 13:56
    Thank you very much @John Ievers. This is exactly what I was looking for. #NailedIt​​

John Hollingsworth
    Clear Channel Outdoor Holding Inc