MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Random points being generated in mapinfo layer

Posted 10-19-2020 06:55
    Hi all

Is there a way to see when events, e.g. map features like points being created, occur for a particular Mapinfo layer? I ask because a user has queried why random points seem to be appearing in a polyline layer of his unexpectedly. If we could pinpoint when these additions are occurring we might be able to investigate. Is there a log file stored for a layer which would show actions similar to the way the mapbasic window does?

Thanks
    Chris

------------------------------
    Chris Dickinson
    North Yorkshire County Council

• 2.  RE: Random points being generated in mapinfo layer

Posted 10-19-2020 07:15
    Chris,

No log files are created in the flat files Pro uses.  MapInfo creates temp files when a layer is originally edited until the layer is saved. Then they're gone.  If the data is held in some sort of spatial server then maybe that will create time/date stamps for individual records.

I don't think in 25 years I've come across Pro randomly creating data so my gut instinct would be user error.

You could lock down the editing permissions for that layer or the folder it sits in to try and minimise the potential for this or even trap who is doing it. 

Do the points have blank rows in the browser? i.e. no attribute data.  Possibly been added by mistake, i.e. insert symbol is selected rather insert polyline.  The user could be then adding them without realising? maybe.

Regards

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk

• 3.  RE: Random points being generated in mapinfo layer

Posted 10-21-2020 03:10
    Thanks Nick

There are mostly blank rows but I think a couple have data which would definitely suggest user error. My colleague has come back with a subsequent question...

..."ask if there is any way that copying and pasting lines or polygons between an active layer and the cosmetic layer could result in point data being created on the live layer?

I have discovered that a similar situation appears to exist on a different layer (Development Control) which has polygons drawn on it. I have investigated one particular example where two separate applications have been recorded relating to the same site. The original application is shown (correctly) as a polygon, but the subsequent application appears as a point. I have seen the map created for the second application for the response to the planning application and that clearly shows the polygon. The person doing this will have either:

Copied and pasted the original polygon in the Development Control Layer and then amended the details behind the new version to reflect the latest application. Then they will have copied and pasted the polygon into the cosmetic layer and switched off the Dev Control layer in order to drawn a plan with no nearby applications showing, or,

• Copied and pasted the original application polygon into the cosmetic layer and switched off the Dev Control layer in order to drawn a plan with no nearby applications showing. Then turned on Dev Control layer and copied and pasted the polygon from the cosmetic layer into the dev control layer to create a new record with the same outline and updated the info behind it.

Could either (or both) of these processes have resulted in Mapinfo creating a point record?"

Cheers
    Chris

Chris Dickinson

• 4.  RE: Random points being generated in mapinfo layer

Posted 10-21-2020 04:22
    Good morning Chris
    The user may think that they are copying from the active layer to the cosmetic layer - but they haven't, they have pasted into the active layer.
    And the term "active layer" is a bit odd as all layers are active.
    Or do you mean the "editable layer"?
    You can select and copy from any layer - points, lines, polygons - but when you paste, you paste into the editable layer - whichever that is set to. It is a common error by users. But a polygon would never turn into a point object!!
    Moreover, now you have pointed out the process, there is no need to copy and paste at all (let's eliminate the error arising in the first place).
    If you select the polygon object (the planning application) and then Browse >Selection it will become Query X. You can add Query X to the Map and turn off the original layer. Does that fit?

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Random points being generated in mapinfo layer

Posted 10-21-2020 12:58
    Chris,

I agree with John.  I would try and get the user not to use live or active as descriptions as they don't really exists.  Any object on  a single layer can be selected as long as that layer is made selectable.  This can be any number of layers.  However only 1 layer at a time can be made editable. This will be the layer that any 'insert' is added to - point, line or region and anything pasted to.  I don't think either option you've stated would randomly create points on another layer.  If your user is drawing data on 1 specific layer and then copying data on to the cosmetic layer then they are constantly changing which layer is editable, this possibly is causing then to draw/paste things incorrectly.   I still think the user is probably adding points by accident due to having the wrong insert tool selected when the click on the map.  You could set a default symbol style for that layer (Layer Properties) as some huge and easily recognisable symbol so the user may see when they do it.

Is your OS data split into sensible layers, i.e. topo line, topo area, etc.? I did a course at North Yorks years ago and all their OS data (Landline at the time) was all on one massive layer for the whole of North Yorkshire.  The users complained about how slow it was!!

John's idea of using query selections rather than editing on the cosmetic layer is the 'proper' way to achieve what the user is trying to do, however I have some clients/users who just can't get their head around queries and prefer using the cosmetic layer instead.  I occasionally come across users who write text directly on the map rather than use labels!!

Regards,

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk

• 6.  RE: Random points being generated in mapinfo layer

Posted 10-22-2020 04:04
    Thanks Nick and John

I like the idea of the default symbol style, I'll suggest that as a test.

Yes, we have different layers for line, area etc these days - pulling from a SQL database. Still have some users reporting speed issues now everyone is WFH though!

Cheers
    Chris

Chris Dickinson