MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Licence Manager Options File Difficulties

Posted 09-11-2020 11:55

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help, I'm having problems getting the Licence Manager Options File configured in the correct way.
    As a little bit of background, we run a number of virtual servers for a number of different clients, some of which use MapInfo and so previously we've had the MI Licence Server installed locally on each virtual machine, but we've recently moved all the machines on to a high-availability cluster, which is great except if the VMs ever move between nodes on the cluster the Licence Server detects this as a change of hardware and invalidates the licences. So we've set up another server that is not on the cluster and we want this to act as a central licence server with all the MapInfo licences being distributed from it.
    Now this is where the difficulty comes in, because we have multiple clients with different numbers of licences, etc. we need to control who can access what licences and so we need to use the Options file to it.
    I added one set of 2 licences and added a RESERVE line to reserve those licences as show below
    RESERVE 2 MAPINFO.PROFESSIONAL.1500 HOST <server1>
    This seems to work fine and when I look at the licence properties I can see those two reserved licences as 'checked out' to the server, and if I go on to that server I can run MapInfo. So far so good.
    I then added a second set of licence with the hope of doing the same for another client, however this is where I've hit a problem. The new licences show as a separate line in the licence server, but straight away 2 of licences are checked out by 'server1'. So I don't have the correct number of licences available for 'server2' and 'server1' now seems to have 4 licences checked out.

When I look at the log.txt file I can see that both sets of licences are being registered with the same 'version' which is what I think is the problem. I can also then see the RESERVE being applied to both sets of licences

16:43:40 (unisw20) Server started on <licence server> for: MapInfo_License_Server
    16:43:40 (unisw20) MAPINFO.PROFESSIONAL.1500 MAPINFO.PROFESSIONAL.1500
    16:43:40 (unisw20) EXTERNAL FILTERS are OFF
    16:43:40 (unisw20) RESERVING 2 MAPINFO.PROFESSIONAL.1500/0029 6057 35B8 EDB2 licenses for HOST <server1>
    16:43:40 (unisw20) RESERVING 2 MAPINFO.PROFESSIONAL.1500/0062 6D00 5D3F 2E82 licenses for HOST <server1>

I've also tried to use the INCLUDE_ENTITLEMENT and EXCLUDE_ENTITLEMENT options using the different licence serial numbers and access codes to achieve the same thing, but I can't seem to get these options to work at all.

So basically can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Steven Ellwood

• 2.  RE: Licence Manager Options File Difficulties

Employee
    Posted 09-22-2020 03:19
    Hi Steven

I'm guessing your goal is to make sure each organisation will have access to the number of licenses they have paid for, right?

Can you try using the MAX option:
    GROUP group 1 pa009de ab001me be003kl
    MAX 5 INCLUDE MAPINFO.PROFESSIONAL.0500 GROUP group1
    or
    HOST_GROUP 
    HOST_GROUP group1 153.142.75.125
    MAX 5 INCLUDE MAPINFO.PROFESSIONAL.0500 HOST_GROUP group1

where group1 can either be a group of users determined by their username seen by the server, or a host group determined by an IP range as you can see above in the examples

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Licence Manager Options File Difficulties

Posted 09-28-2020 12:55
    Hi Peter, 

That appears to have worked, thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
    Steve.

Steven Ellwood
    Knowledge Community Shared Account