MapInfo Pro

View Only

MapInfo Monday: Cross Section tool for Raster Grid

• 1.  MapInfo Monday: Cross Section tool for Raster Grid

Employee
    Posted 07-19-2021 07:22
    We took a short trip to the Danish island of Bornholm during our vacation. Bornholm is located in the Baltic Sea between Sweden to the North and Germany and Poland to the south.

The geology of Bornholm is quite different from the rest of Denmark. We refer to it as "Rock Island" because of its geology, which mostly consists of granite.

During our stay we also drow to one of the older granite quarries located near Knudsker. Knudsker is actually a contraction of the name Knud and "Kirke", the Danish word for "church". You will find many small villages on Bornholm ending with "-sker" for the same reason.

Stubbeløkken as this granite quarry is named was opened back in 1824.

Looking at the area on a base map doesn't reveal a lot of details about the quarry.

If you use an aerial map, you get some more details that reveal what is hidden here.

And if you want to inspect the height details, you need to get hold of a raster grid in the form of a digital terrain model. Below I have opened the Danish DTM from 2019 with a resolution of 40 cm.

Let try to inspect the height difference a bit more using the Cross Section tool that comes with MapInfo Pro Advanced. I have created a table with a couple of cross section lines. I select one of these lines and select the Cross Section tool from the Raster Operations gallery.

This will open up the Cross Section panel where you can inspect the cross section in bigger detail.

You can see that the height drops from 70 meters to around -15 in what looks like an almost vertical drop. The only other place in Denmark, you will find something this dramatic is at Møns Klint. Remember that Denmark is quite a flat country. We call hills with a height of 150 meters mountains.

You can see the actual values from the raster grid by selecting the grid you want to inspect in the Axis Properties.

Move the mouse around in the cross section, and the position will be highlighted in the browser below and show the exact values.

Without going into more details, I also want to highlight that you can control the style of the cross section via the Options, and you can turn on a pointer in the map window that changes as you move your mouse in the cross section graph.

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data
    ------------------------------