MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Suspicious action by Mapinfo.exe

Posted 03-09-2022 11:04
    Since recently (build 205) Norton 360 informs me of the above action, when I start up the program.
    Norton blocks the action.
    What is the action and what should I do to stop the message.

------------------------------
    Ad van Ooststroom
    Bergen op Zoom, NL

• 2.  RE: Suspicious action by Mapinfo.exe

Employee
    Posted 03-09-2022 15:22
    Hi Ad:
    We scan the installer files with Norton & Kaspersky prior to releasing them to the public. 
    I installed MIPro 2100 b205 on a machine that has Norton 360 running on it (after getting latest Norton updates) then ran MIPro first time on this machine.  Norton seems to scan the files as they are being extracted as well, so if there is something in there, it should find it beforehand if effective.
    Only thing I got running MIPro first time after install was a warning from Norton is that MapInfoPro.exe is not digitally signed (which it isn't) and it allowed me to proceed.  Nothing further after that.
    If you have some Norton log files that inform us what exactly Norton thinks is a suspicious activity that would be most helpful.  It may be the process that MIPro does on first use to get latest RSS feed, or update the MarketPlace tool client perhaps?  Norton should tell you somehow what it thinks this 'suspicious' activity is.  This is most likely a false positive and Norton has to 'learn' abut MapInfoPro being used so it no longer flags it as suspicious.

Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

• 3.  RE: Suspicious action by Mapinfo.exe

Employee
    Posted 03-10-2022 08:28
    Ad,
    I cannot answer that really because (1) I am not a Norton expert by any means, and (2) your Norton setup appears to be different than mine, which is causing this message to be generated.  Our Norton setup here is on a separate VM inside our firewall where our IT uses other additional security measures, Anti-virus, etc.  We just use Norton & Kaspersky primarily to scan our installer files prior to delivery as an additional safeguard.
    If you are part of an organization managed by IT, they might restrict you from allowing it until they investigate this message and determine its safe to ignore it.  If this is your own personal machine I would suggest you contact Norton support to determine how to tag MapInfoPro.exe application as non-suspicious. Wish I could be of more assistance.
    Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

• 4.  RE: Suspicious action by Mapinfo.exe

Posted 03-11-2022 13:28
    The message is only a message saying it blocked something that mapinfo initiated.
    It does not interfere with my work.
    I am not part of an organization with an IT department, just me, Mapinfo 2021 and Norton 360.
    Regards,
    Ad van Ooststroom

Ad van Ooststroom
    Bergen op Zoom, NL