View Only

MapInfo Monday: Looking back at the articles from 2021

• 1.  MapInfo Monday: Looking back at the articles from 2021

Employee
    Posted 12-27-2021 05:46
    Edited by Peter Møller 01-04-2022 08:28
      |   view attached
    Merry #MapInfoMonday!

I know I'm a bit late as Christmas now is over but I couldn't help it. And at the end of this article, you can find a small present, too.

As we now are in the last week of the year 2021, I thought it would make sense to look back at some of the articles from the year that now has gone by.

One often-used feature when working with spatial data and especially polygon-based data, you want to understand how much one polygon overlays another polygon. In this article from back in January, we looked into using the ProportionOverlap function for this type of calculation.

MapInfo Pro can work with quite large datasets. When working with large point-based datasets, you can speed up the map rendering quite drastically as we inspected in this article from back in February. We also looked at some of the downsides.

In another article in February, we looked at exporting data to GeoJSON using a Python script. With MapInfo Pro v2021, you can export datasets directly to GeoJSON via the OGR support from the Export dialog which we discussed in an article in November during our release week.

Covid-19 has been a big topic during 2021 again. We looked at creating thematic maps with Covid-19 data in an article back in April.

In an article in June, we looked at which benefits Spectrum Spatial can bring to MapInfo Pro users.

In July I went on vacation on the Danish island of Bornholm which resulted in an article on how to use the Cross Section tool in MapInfo Pro Advanced.

In a #MapInfoMonday post in August, I looked back at a new feature we added to MapInfo Pro a couple of years earlier which can help you limit the number of labels on your map.

Hexagons have always fascinated me. In an article in August, we looked at creating Uber H3 Hexagons with a Python tool. You can find the tool, Create Uber H3 Hexagons, on the MapInfo Marketplace.

In October I wrote an article initiated by a question about how you can manually move the centroid of polygons in MapInfo Pro. This post led to a discussion around if this was even possible as a centroid typically would be calculated automatically.

And finally, in a post mid-December I looked at how you can find the objects that don't intersect. Typically, you can find the objects that do intersect so how do you find the opposite?

I hope you have enjoyed reading these #MapInfoMonday posts as much as I have enjoyed writing them. If you have topics or ideas for articles in 2022, do let me know. Feel free to suggest ideas as comments to this post or by sending me an email.

Oh, and as I promised at the beginning, a present for those of you who had read through the entire post, please find a document with all the #MapInfoMonday posts until now.
    ​​
    See you in 2022!

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data
    ------------------------------

Attachment(s)

pdf
    MapInfoMonday Articles.pdf   50.94 MB 1 version