MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Reserve words within MI PRO 17.0.2 and MapBasic 16.0

Posted 05-29-2019 10:13
    Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can point me to a list of "reserve words" within MapInfo Professional AND/OR MapBasic.  By "reserve words", I mean for example, the letters "SGN" are reserved and you are unable to index a table with the name "SGN.TAB".

Where I work, we designate members with three letters, and it took quite some time to realize the issue with my automation within my MBX file was that I was trying to put a final index on the table and that "SGN" was a reserved word.

Does anyone know if a full list of "reserve words" exist somewhere in documentation? 

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Nicholas Evanish
    Senior Programmer Analyst

• 2.  RE: Reserve words within MI PRO 17.0.2 and MapBasic 16.0

Employee
    Posted 05-30-2019 03:08
    Hi Nicholas,

I could find some Knowledge base articles which might help!

http://support.pitneybowes.com/SearchArticles/VFP05_KnowledgeWithSidebarHowTo?id=kA180000000PO6pCAG&popup=false&lang=en_US
    http://support.pitneybowes.com/SearchArticles/VFP06_KnowledgeWithSidebarTroubleshoot?id=kA2800000004MTfCAM&popup=false&lang=en_US

P.S. I couldn't find SGN listed in these lists.

Ruchi Mishra
    Pitney Bowes Australia Pty Ltd
    Melbourne

• 3.  RE: Reserve words within MI PRO 17.0.2 and MapBasic 16.0

Posted 11-02-2020 12:08
    Ruchi - These link are now dead 404 links.  Perhaps they got lost during the transition from PB -> Precisely?

Nicholas Evanish

• 4.  RE: Reserve words within MI PRO 17.0.2 and MapBasic 16.0

Employee
    Posted 05-30-2019 06:49
    See the Dim Statement Help topic in MapBasic for a decent list of Reserved words.  Bascially avoid using words that are Function or sub names, or those used for math\aggregration, etc.

Bill Wemple
    Principal QA Engineer
    Pitney Bowes
    Troy, NY

• 5.  RE: Reserve words within MI PRO 17.0.2 and MapBasic 16.0

Posted 05-31-2019 16:56
    Thank you this helped as a reference!

Nicholas Evanish
    Senior Programmer Analyst

• 6.  RE: Reserve words within MI PRO 17.0.2 and MapBasic 16.0

Posted 11-01-2020 09:42
      |   view attached
    Anyone,

This post is a little old; however, I hit an issue this week where I was trying to name a file "PRN.TAB" and it failed.  I realized it was a reserved word within the Windows 10 OS.

I was wondering, outside of the image I have attached from MapBasic documentation with reserved words....does anyone know of a list of reserved words for the actual MapInfo Professional application?

I ask because one three-letter combination in particular is "SGN".  If a tab file is named "SGN.TAB" you are unable to perform certain functions on it.  Does anyone know where there is a list that includes "SGN" so I can see if there are any other reserved words for MapInfo Professional specifically?

Thank you in advance.

Nicholas Evanish

• 7.  RE: Reserve words within MI PRO 17.0.2 and MapBasic 16.0
    Best Answer

Posted 11-02-2020 10:45
      |   view attached
    All,

After doing some research inside MapInfo Professional 17.0.1, I was able to find in their "Help/Documentation" the attached image chart of "Math Functions" which I found included the reserved word "SGN". 

This is the closest list of all the reserved words I should be worried about inside MapInfo Professional; therefore, I wanted to update this thread incase someone else finds this information useful in the future.

Have a good day.

Nicholas Evanish