MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo - SMB 2.0

Posted 07-02-2021 05:02
    Hi,

a client has recently moved all their MapInfo data onto a new 2019 Windows Server.  

Since then they are having issues, such as : 

• Unable to create new table.
    • Table xxxx is read-only.
    • Unable to create index.
    • File xxxx.DAT not found. Unable to create new table.
    • Cannot access file xxxx.IND. Cannot access index file. Unable to create index.
    • Cannot access file xxxx.TIN for writing. Please be sure that this file is not open in another application

same errors occur in both 32 and 64 bit versions and in nodelock/concurrent versions
    same errors occur with different users with different permissions
    same errors occur when running mapbasic scripts or just through normal use of Pro
    errors are intermittent when using Pro but always happen running mapbasic scripts 

after some investigation it appears that the issue is that the server is running SMB v2.0 as part of Windows Features.  All the PCs/servers I have access to (and on a couple of client's sites) all appear to be running SMB 1.0 or SMB direct so I cant replicate the errors (neither can Precisely).

Precisely support have said that using SMB 2.0 is not tested and cannot be supported yet.  Which, while understandable, doesn't really help the client who is a large MapInfo Pro user for over 20+ years and has 1000s of data layers built up over this time.

So, does anyone have any similar experience with SMB2.0 or even 3.0?  Any similar issues?  Client's IT are refusing to go back to SMB1.0 as it has security issues.

There are many threads about SMB2.0 and Windows10, 2019 servers out there but I am hoping someone has solved this from a MapInfo data experience.

Any suggestions/clues gratefully received.

Nick

------------------------------
    Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester

• 2.  RE: MapInfo - SMB 2.0

Posted 07-14-2021 09:19
    Hi Nick,

Yes I had this issue >5 years ago when we moved to SMB2, it's also a common problem with network scanner MFP's ... It is to due with directory caching and shows up most likely if you access network drives or UNC paths with an IP address instead of FQDN DNS... but anyway the solution is to set Directory Cache Lifetime to 0 ..

• In Windows Search box type regedit and press Enter to access the Registry Editor.
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and locate System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanworkstation\Parameters.
    • Create a new DWORD value for DirectoryCacheLifetime.
    • Double-click the value and set it to zero (0).

This has to be done on the Client PC's, not the server, so use group policy to deploy it... good luck!

William

• 3.  RE: MapInfo - SMB 2.0

Posted 07-19-2021 07:15
    William,

Many thanks for that.  Unfortunately they had already done your suggestion with no success.  They are now testing an mbx to vary the read write delay operations to see if it helps the network guys find the issue.  Baffling to me as SMB2.0 has been out for ages so I'm sure loads of clients will be using it without any issues at all.

Thanks again

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester