MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Thematically mapping large number of tree data

Posted 02-15-2021 23:49
    Hi All

I have received two tree datasets with the same fields that need to be kept separate. 

I'm working with the Parks and Gardens Coordinator who would like various fields thematically mapped then uploaded into SSA.

The main issue I'm encountering is the Genus field (tree variety) that has 79 objects in one dataset and 106 objects in the other.  Some only have 1 -10
    objects.

I have tried several options, one which included using the 12 color palette with the tree symbol.  Issue is the color duplicates several times and doesn't give a true view of the tree species.

How would others tackle this type of thematic mapping by keeping the tree symbol  i.e. do you think I will need to individually assign each tree variety by using the color pallet and include a halo or border, depending on how it displays on the map with/without an aerial? 

(I'm using MI V17 - 64 bit and have V2019.3 - 64 bit which I'm testing out atm)

kind regards

------------------------------
    Jenny Levy
    GIS Coordinator
    Benalla Rural City Council
    Victoria Australia

• 2.  RE: Thematically mapping large number of tree data

Posted 02-16-2021 08:29
    FWIW, I'd probably thematically map just the ten most frequent, with others shown black outline. Looks like that would be 90% of your trees, so would give a good visual. I'd add a 2 character ID for each genus, and I'd label display that on the less frequent genuses(genii?). I'd probably set it up so the labels only displayed on a suitable zoom in.

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council