MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapinfo and MID

Posted 05-11-2021 04:37
    Hi,

Has anyone follow thow Mapinfo and Datamine /Discover displays file listings in various tools and functions?

MIP and Datamine sort loaded files under various tools and process. Files are sorted by various means. At times it appears almost random and is definitely not logical in my mind.

FYI, using a large number of files in a workspace, your file selection under various tools and functions is oh so painfully complex (as well, the selection window is way too small [cannot be resized] italics are not reflected and the file length is truncated [raised many times - I know!!!])

How does MIP and Datamine sort files please?

• Is there a way to sort alphabetically or numerically to make life easier for the user?

Look forward to understand how MIP and Discover sort files in the various functions in the software

Cheers, Mike

------------------------------
    Mike Woodbury
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Mapinfo and MID

Employee
    Posted 05-11-2021 05:33
    Hi Mike

It's been a while since I have used Datamine Discover so I do only speak for MapInfo Pro.

Typically, when MapInfo Pro displays a list of tables in a dialog, like the Close Table dialog below, the tables are sorted in the order the tables have been opened. The table you opened first is at the top, and the most recent opened table is at the bottom.

The only table that stands out here, is the Selection table - the currently active selection. This query table is always at the top of the list.

There is however one place where the order can be different. That's in the Tables windows.
    This list of tables can also be found in the Explorer window as a separate group called Tables under the Maps and Layers.

The Tables window allows you to control the order of the tables. You can order them alphabetically, Ascending or Descending, or you can sort them with the most recently opened tables at the top.

You can also add a grouping of the tables by their type.

We are considering at some point using the sort order from the Tables window to control the order in which the tables are displayed in the built-in dialogs too. Is that something you would find useful?

For third-party applications, like Datamine Discover, it's up to the developers of these tools to control the order of the tables. I think what you are looking for is a uniform way to order the tables in these dialogs, right?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Mapinfo and MID

Posted 05-11-2021 05:47
    Hi Peter,

Super, I have been trying to gain an understanding of sorting for months and months 

Where is this please Peter?? I can sort alphabetically.....

You can also add a grouping of the tables by their type

We are considering at some point using the sort order from the Tables window to control the order in which the tables are displayed in the built-in dialogs too. Is that something you would find useful?

Yes, Discover sort in a different way to MIP - it's really not that easy to find a file if you have heaps open.

Cheers,
    Mike 

I use groups in the explorer window - please highlight were I go to find this?

You can also add a grouping of the tables by their type

Mike Woodbury
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 4.  RE: Mapinfo and MID

Employee
    Posted 05-25-2021 07:43
    Hi Mike

For sorting the tables in the Explorer window, first, you need to ensure that your Explorer window holds the Table List.
    That is controlled by a preference under Explorer in the Window preferences

Once you have enabled the Table List, you can see the list of tables and use the small dropdown at the top of the list to control the display.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data