MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Change units for a classified raster

Posted 03-23-2021 23:15
    Hi Team,

I have imported an ESRI ASCII raster for a ground heights.  When checking the cell  value, after import, it comes up with undefined units.  How do i cahnge the units to 'm'.

Would appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards
    Habib

------------------------------
    hrehman@hydrostorm.com.au
    CUSTOMER IDEAS CONTACTS ONLY

• 2.  RE: Change units for a classified raster

Employee
    Posted 03-23-2021 23:58
    Hello Habib,

If you imported the file to mrr format then you can simply change the unit by going into Raster Info->Bands->MapInfo Units click on the Pencil icon next to it and select the required unit. This option works for some Raster formats and not for all.

Let us know if it works.

Thanks
    Anshul

Anshul Goel
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 3.  RE: Change units for a classified raster

Posted 03-24-2021 00:50

Thanks Anshul.

When the ESRI ASCII is imported, its not in the MRR format, for which I had to use the Conversion tool.  I was then able to convert the units to 'm'.

A few questions:

• Is opening the ESRI ASCII grid only via Open Table command or is there another way of opening such files
    • If the above is the only way, is it possible to have the functionality to choose a unit while opening it first time and also to save it as MRR
    • Also, is there a way I can assign non-standard units to the grid. E.g. in our line of work we use the unit m2/s for a certain hydraulic parameter.  This option was available in VM in older versions of MapInfo.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards

Habib

• 4.  RE: Change units for a classified raster

Employee
    Posted 03-24-2021 03:19
    So you can open supported Raster file formats through Open Table (Which helps with visualization) or you can open the raster file directly in Raster tools (Under Raster TAB). In this case you could directly browse the input Raster file in Raster Info tool and edit it's unit.

There is also an option to change the Unit at the time of conversion, using convert metadata option (But it works for supported file formats).

Currently we don't support assigning non-standard units to grid. The feature can be requested through our Ideas Portal (https://ideas.precisely.com/).

Does that help?

Anshul Goel
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 5.  RE: Change units for a classified raster

Employee
    Posted 03-24-2021 03:25
    In case your area of interest is covered by multiple ESRI ASCII files, you can choose to merge these into a single raster grid, for example, MRR.

Yesterday I wrote this article on how you can do this: MapInfo Monday: Merging multiple raster files into one.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data